[Trillium-l] Trillium erectum x flexipes

Mike Slater mslater at voicenet.com
Tue May 17 16:23:36 CEST 2011

The "Susquehanna Trilliums" of the flexipes x erectum types are extremely
variable as Jim and John  said. Some of my pictures of them are on this page
at the NARGS Wiki: Rock Garden Encyclopedia
http://nargs.org/nargswiki/tiki-index.php?page=Susquehanna+Trilliums These
are from Shenk's Ferry and Ferncliff Preserve both limestone glens along the
Susquehanna River in Lancaster County Pennsylvania.  (of note: there is one
other limestone Glen on Lancaster County side of the River and It has no
Trillium of the Susquehanna type but it does have Trillium grandiflorum!
This is the only extant site I know of for T. grandiflorum that may be
natural/native in Southeastern/Southcentral Pennsylvania.)

As evidence of hybridization in the Trilliums at Shenk's Ferry Wildflower
Preserve I have found a number of plants with flowers exhibiting the
bullseye pattern of color the Fred and Roberta Case described in their book
"Trilliums"  I have found Both the red centered and white centered
individuals at shenk's Ferry. Unfortunately the best examples I photographs
were lost when the film developer ruined 3 rolls of slide film by developing
them as prints. (That was why I switched to digital!)

As for the rarity of red flowered plants at Shenk's Ferry My Friend Tim
Draude, a botanist from Lancaster, has documented many instances of the red
flowered plant being the ones that are poached from the wildflower preserve.
Tim has showed me holes dug in the ground where red-flowered plants were
growing a few days before! Since the reds are rare there they are most
favored visitors with shovels. We are hoping now that the preserve is being
transferred from the Electric Utility to the Lancaster County Conservancy
protection will be improve for the wildflowers there.

At the NARGS Annual meeting in Pittsburgh a number of years ago I was in a
field trip group that included Fred Case that went to Raccoon Creek State
Park where we saw a population of similar Trilliums that Fred felt were most
likely T. erectum x flexipes in origin.

I has personally speculated about another possibility of parentage for these
trilliums.  There is typical Trillium erectum in Northern Lancaster County
but no typical Trillium flexipes for many hundreds of miles that I know of,
but there is another member of the "Erectum Group" which grows in the area
and has white ovaries i.e. Trillium cernuum.

The evidence I have is my observation of an interesting group of plants on
Long Island NY. In a small town Park on the North Shore I  observed a number
of Typical T. erectums in bloom and also a good number of T. cernuum growing
among them. The only atypical plant I saw looked like it could have been
transplanted from Shenk's Ferry! Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with
me so no pictures and I haven't been back there in Late April again.  I
would like to try to recreate this cross in the garden but although Trillium
cernuum grows naturally within five miles of my house I can't seem to get it
to bloom in my garden. Next year I will have to ferry some pollen to my T.
erectum plants and then wait. So stay tuned and I will report in 5 to 7
years if I am successful.

Mike Slater