[Trillium-l] Trillium erectum x flexipes

Jim McClements jimmcclem at gmail.com
Mon May 16 22:56:21 CEST 2011

The subject of Trillium hybrids, particularly in the "erectum complex",
should certainly include consideration of what I often refer to as the
"Susquehanna Trillium", found by the thousands in spectacular hillside
masses at Shenk's Ferry PA, but also on both sides of the Susquehanna River
in the same general location. Most trillium addicts in my area (Pa, NJ, and
Del) are quite familiar with these.

The best guess (by Dick Lighty, formerly at Mt.Cuba Gardens) about these is
that they probably represent a relict hybrid between white T. erectum and T.
flexipes. They are 99.99% white petalled, but with ovary color ranging from
white (like flexipes) to black (like erectum), and some variation in shape.
Aside from ovary color the plants are pretty much uniform. I have quite a
few of these in my garden (grown from seed), where they are quite vigorous
and show the same ovarian variations as the wild population.

Could this be the source of the "erectum/flexipes hybrid" that started this
thread of discussion?

Jim McClements