[Trillium-l] Hybrids (erectum vs. flexipes)

Kyle Baker kylefletcherbaker at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 19:54:30 CEST 2011

I see this point, but the amount of naturally occurring hybrids is far outweighed by man made hybrids and what if the hybrids are more vigorous and so set seed and displace the original natural species? And if a naturally occurring hybrid occurs in one area, chances are that it won't fit into another region all too well. As for taking the pressure off of natural occurring species, well I can't see that hybrids of any sort would do that, and the money spent on creating hybrids could be put to better use by replanting native occurring species endemic to a specific region.

You'll note I tried to be as non confrontational on the issue though it doesn't always work out...sigh...but the discourse on native vs non native vs hybrid is an ever intriguing one for me.

My personal interest in Trillium hybrids is learning if they "really" exist (so far many if not most are just "thought to be" hybrids and in reality are the result of species diversity or unique biological events like John G has suggested.) I also wonder if there is the potential for better or more versatile plants because of "hybrid vigor". Could there be a white sessile that does well in the Eastern US for example? Might such plants take the pressure off of collecting as another possibility if hybrids were less expensive to propagate.

Best Regards,