[Trillium-l] Hybrids (erectum vs. flexipes)

The Grahams eldergrahams at me.com
Sun May 15 19:39:44 CEST 2011

Hi Kyle,

On May 15, 2011, at 3:49 AM, Kyle Baker wrote:

> Can someone explain the need, want, desire, urge, to create and grow hybrids? I see no improvements....no better than in most cases...albeit with food crops there is disease resistance and flavor?   and in ornamental cases yes there is ?better color...size....fragrance....and disease resistance.......but I have to fall back on what was created through evolution hands down over any so called hybrid

Seems to me you more than adequately answered your own question as to "why" hybrids. In addition, I would ask you as a nursery person, how much of your business volume/income/interest whatever is based on "natives" or non man made hybrids (which includes named selections I would think) as compared to the reverse?

There are many purist like yourself but, from my perspective over nearly 40 years of involvement in nursery related activities your group does not account for a lot of "business"

My personal interest in Trillium hybrids is learning if they "really" exist (so far many if not most are just "thought to be" hybrids and in reality are the result of species diversity or unique biological events like John G has suggested.) I also wonder if there is the potential for better or more versatile plants because of "hybrid vigor". Could there be a white sessile that does well in the Eastern US for example? Might such plants take the pressure off of collecting as another possibility if hybrids were less expensive to propagate.

Best Regards,