[Trillium-l] Trillium erectum x flexipes

Lis Allison garden at pine-ridge.ca
Sun May 15 16:55:05 CEST 2011

On May 15, 2011, Al Menk wrote:

> .....I used to think if
> the flowers are above the leaves, then it's Tr. erectum, if the
> flowers are below, then it's Tr. cernuum or flexipes ....

I don't think that is dependable either. I have T. erectum here, and some
hold their flowers up above the leaves and others don't. In any case, the
older flowers invariably decline to a position below the leaf attachment.
All seedpods are held pointing to the ground.

My T. flexipes in the garden (purchased plants but definitely T. flexipes)
all hold their flowers facing up, above the leaves. I haven't seen
seedpods yet so cannot comment. I have no other Trilliums in bloom by the
time my T. flexipes opens.

Lis
--
Lis Allison