[Trillium-l] Hybrids (erectum vs. flexipes)

Kyle Baker kylefletcherbaker at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 12:49:28 CEST 2011

I enjoyed the Journal link, and I do love Trillium, what few I am able to view either through work or in the wild...which around here are only T. erectum.

I may be simple minded, or naive...or just too much of a purist at heart....but I've never cared for Man made hybrids of much....and not much for natural hybrids though I've grown a few cultivated 'natural hybrid orchids.

Can someone explain the need, want, desire, urge, to create and grow hybrids? I see no improvements....no better than in most cases...albeit with food crops there is disease resistance and flavor?   and in ornamental cases yes there is ?better color...size....fragrance....and disease resistance.......but I have to fall back on what was created through evolution hands down over any so called hybrid.

These thoughts just creep back every time I read, see or hear someone getting all excited over some hybrid......so just thought I'd throw it out once again to different group of people...

Mr. Kyle Fletcher Baker, MCN

Maine Zone 5