[Trillium-l] Hybrids (erectum vs. flexipes)

Jonathan Knisely jpsknisely at gmail.com
Sun May 15 12:39:00 CEST 2011

Russ:

Have you considered sending a brief note to the journal to ask about
sources?  A letter to the editor containing what you've communicated in your
posts here would be a valuable contribution.  At least I think so.

Jonathan Knisely
New Haven, CT
USDA 6a

The current issue of 'The Garden' from the RHS has a brief article on
Trillium . It particularly recommends (and shows) hybrids of Trillium
erectum x flexipes as one of the best trilliums for garden use.

The article also discourages the purchase of collected Trilliums and
presents reasons for buying from sources of cultivated Trillium. Does anyone
know of a source of cultivated hybrids of erectum x flexipes?

My efforts to date in searching for hybrid Trilliums of known origin has
been futile. So far all seed and plants "located" have been purported or
assumed hybrids with the seed being of f2 or later generation from a parent
that is "believed" to be a hybrid. One possible exception to this is a
probable hybrid in Lithuania of TRKU x TRAL that the origin is thought to be
known.

I am once again expressing some skepticism, I know. But it intrigues me that
the article is recommending a plant for its hybrid vigor, etc., that may or
may not in fact be available from a source that is propagating it in
cultivation.

What does anyone KNOW? Are there commercial sources of known Trillium
hybrids of any parentage anywhere?

Thanks,