[Trillium-l] Hybrids

GARY DUNLOP gary.dunlop at btinternet.com
Sun May 15 08:43:23 CEST 2011

Russ,

Who wrote the Trillium article? Just because a plant is deemed to be a hybrid, does not ensure that it is, particularly, given the significant variation of many Trillium species in wild populations.

The RHS Garden magazine is no longer regarded as a serious source of horticultural information. . It had become so dumbed down that it was a major cause of resignations from the RHS. Its hardly surprising when it is deemed to be more important to have non-gardening bankers of council than knowledgeable plants people. In the two years when the non-gardening ex managing director of Lehman Bros in London was President, about 20% of the existing membership resigned!

As for the horticultural excellence the RHS claims to possess, as well as teaching it, it is regularly demonstrated in the plant trials. This year's first disaster was the trial of Erythroniums. The judges wasted a day turning up at Wisley over a month ago, to judge the trial, only  to find only the shrivelled remains of the plants, in a low raised bed, in full sun, which had not been watered during the rainless month of March! What hope would there have been for a successful trilium trial, even without the risk of potty virus.

Gary Dunlop