[Trillium-l] Hybrids

The Grahams eldergrahams at me.com
Sat May 14 17:28:54 CEST 2011

The current issue of 'The Garden' from the RHS has a brief article on Trillium . It particularly recommends (and shows) hybrids of Trillium erectum x flexipes as one of the best trilliums for garden use.

The article also discourages the purchase of collected Trilliums and presents reasons for buying from sources of cultivated Trillium. Does anyone know of a source of cultivated hybrids of erectum x flexipes?

My efforts to date in searching for hybrid Trilliums of known origin has been futile. So far all seed and plants "located" have been purported or assumed hybrids with the seed being of f2 or later generation from a parent that is "believed" to be a hybrid. One possible exception to this is a probable hybrid in Lithuania of TRKU x TRAL that the origin is thought to be known.

I am once again expressing some skepticism, I know. But it intrigues me that the article is recommending a plant for its hybrid vigor, etc., that may or may not in fact be available from a source that is propagating it in cultivation.

What does anyone KNOW? Are there commercial sources of known Trillium hybrids of any parentage anywhere?

Thanks,