[Trillium-l] Sulcatum Diversity

The Grahams eldergrahams at me.com
Fri May 13 18:47:00 CEST 2011

Stephen,
Jim's point is one I agree with "totally" and may be helpful if you are truly expecting to see sulcate petals.
On May 13, 2011, at 6:04 AM, Jim McClements wrote:

> I don't find the sulcate sepal (not petal) to be nearly as distinguishing, despite its being the source of the species' name.

I see sulcate sepals in many commercial images of erectum as well for example.

AS to the candle snuffer comparison (if you know what a candle snuffer looks like, and they can vary as much as Trillium do based on the few I have seen...), I have also found it useful.

However, I can be confused by flexipes which are not all flat (OR flexed for that matter, another frustrating name versus individual plant character example, just like MOST chloropetalum do NOT have green petals.) To me at least "some" flexipes can be quite like  "some" sulcatum AND the sulcatedness of the sepals does NOT assist in the differentiation at ALL!

Then we have the statement by Jim S. in the same inbox...

"The genetic diversity of a species is not all contained within each and
every individual colony or population."

Essentially an understatement IF a person has the opportunity to see the diversity that exists in some "species". Where the diversity "comes" from is of course still another "can of worms" depending on the point of view of the speculator. But as Jim's comment suggests there can be populations with little or no diversity and others with significant and obvious as well as perplexing diversity.

Then we have Harold's comments about the sulcatum images...

"Several are unique----- 1 in populations of 100-1000.  ... Others were donated without any knowledge."

Who is to say "what" the genetics of a one of 1000 specimen of unknown origin (perhaps from a garden like Harold's diverse plantings...) truly are and where it is in the process of "evolution" naturally (no matter how much one suspects nature is impacted by the influence of humans)...

Another valid consideration in deciding what you are looking at Stephen, is what other species might the specimen be and sulcatum is more obvious than not when considering "the" alternatives. Besides, given where you are (and that holds for  most of us on this list) WHO is going to question your designation anyway?

Kind Regards,
Russ

("BTW" this was discussed by my wife and I while walking the dogs [French Bulldog, Border Collie, and Rott) this morning. NO observer would have questioned the species of the walkers or the walkees. Despite the obvious differences or the sexes or the genetics. No need for a dna evaluation.)