[Trillium-l] Sulcatum Diversity

J.E. Shields jshields at indy.net
Fri May 13 14:44:42 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I've never seen sulcatum in the wild, and we only had one single individual
plant tested for weight of DNA in the nucleus.  The plant was collected in
eastern Tennessee by Richard Vagner.  That one data point puts its nuclear
DNA significantly above that for erectum, rugelii, vaseyi, catesbaei, and
simile.  This is unfortunately not visible to the naked eye, but it could
be one hard data point for future taxonomic work.  More data is definitely
needed.

The genetic diversity of a species is not all contained within each and
every individual colony or population.  This colony with the abundance of
genes for white and yellow flowers could be on its way to diverging into a
new species somewhere in the next several thousand years, just through
genetic drift.

On the other hand, there probably won't be any "wild" anything left
anywhere on the planet in a thousand years from now.

Jim Shields