[Trillium-l] GREEN

Jamie Vande vande.jamie at googlemail.com
Wed May 11 08:35:45 CEST 2011

John,

I agree with you, this is a fundamental change, or as everyone love to
call it these days, a paradigm shift!, in the funtionality of the petal
from petal to leaf biology..  Chlorophyll can mask pigments to an
extent, but, in the case of a white petal, it is generally simply not
present. No pigment needs to mask it.  In carotene pigmented flowers,
the chlorophyll (chloroplast) is changed to/replaced by the carotene
pigment (chromoplast), no masking involved.

The starch component is interesting and may be key to the developement
of a white flower, I really have no idea. Although I have yet to check
for pigments in grandiflorum, it does become pink as it wilts, which
would point to an anthocyanin pigment either changing from a white,
possibly due to a flavone combination changing, to a simple pink.
Lilies do have a white pigment, which is why they are so white, compared
to most 'white' flowers, which are actually pale cream.  They do aquire
a bit of colour as they pass their peak.  maybe a similar situation.

All food for thought....what was the question?

Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany