[Trillium-l] GREEN

The Grahams eldergrahams at me.com
Wed May 11 02:15:59 CEST 2011

Interesting ideas Jim Mc,
On May 10, 2011, at 11:26 AM, Jim McClements wrote:

>  Maybe I'm being simplistic, but I assume that any green-colored flower is due to the absence of any pigment that will mask the chlorophyll, not a specific "green factor".

My reaction is that it IS too simplistic. I too doubt there is a specific "green factor".

BUT part of my quandary is the situation when foliage of Trillium, as an example, turns burgundy/black when the green is no longer present. Seemingly at least the chlorophyl masks the other pigment. (I think, not unlike fall foliage colors when the green that has masked the other colors all summer goes away and the chemicals that are present can be visible as "pigment" depending on temps and day-length, etc.)

Which comes first and which is "dominant", the green or the pigment....?