[Trillium-l] Sulcatum Diversity

The Grahams eldergrahams at me.com
Tue May 10 05:47:40 CEST 2011

Hello Harold,
 Well, I went and looked at flexipes and at this point do not have much to comment on, certainly no petal color variation although there are at least 3 ovary colors and some variation in petal size and shape and recurving... and one plant that is erect flowering (no declination at all).

I am more curious about one impressive sulcatum, if I have it identified correctly, I checked today and how it might compare with what you were evaluating. It has 3 stems from one growth point all blooming yellow with an ovary of maroon and cream. Two stems are about 22 inches long and the longest is 26 inches. There is one additional flowering stem among the other 12 stems and it is about 12 inches tall. My notes indicate that when the plant was potted in january there were 10 offsets formed on the rhizome.

Most of the plants from this bed have one or two flowering stems and no more than a total of 3 stems. Petal and ovary colors vary in the other plants.

Thanks,