[Trillium-l] GREEN

J.E. Shields jshields at indy.net
Mon May 9 20:55:26 CEST 2011

Hi Russ and all,

I will offer a couple of thoughts on green petals in Trillium or any other
plant.

I would hypothesize that two genetic changes are needed to get a clean
green color in the petals of any but a white flowered species:  1. a
genetic change to suppress the normal pigmentation; and 2. a genetic change
allowing chloroplasts to develop with chlorophyll in the petals.  In fact,
and in my profound ignorance of how these things are regulated, it might be
on and the same change, acting at two separate genes.

Some breeding experimentation is clearly called for.

Jim Shields