[Trillium-l] Trillium catesbyii

Fern Hill fernhill at voicenet.com
Mon May 9 16:50:27 CEST 2011

Trillium catesbyii is a beautiful and variable species.  As Jim
illustrated - populations can have a wide variation in flower inclination
and color - from white to deep pink.  The petals can vary - depending on
population  - from the very broad, overlapped ones in the photo I just
posted to very narrow and delicate.

I have had some trouble raising them from seed here in New Jersey, even
though my sandy soil is acid - which they like, pH at one site in SC was 5.5
when I measured it some years ago.  The ones pictured were growing in a
friend's garden on quite heavy clay loam with relatively little organic
content and no added fertilizer.  Has anyone else had experience growing
this species on different soil types?

John Gyer  Clarksboro  NJ  USA