[Trillium-l] Best trillium year

Carl Denton carl at trilliums.co.uk
Fri May 6 22:04:30 CEST 2011

Goodday Stephen
One thing to point out is that all my pots are plunged up to their necks
in a gritty sand plunge bed and with a cover above to shed our winter
rain. I have heard of more than one person who kept theirs on a concrete
patio open to the rain and had them frozen solid by this last winter and
the rhizome reduced to mush.
All my small trilliums (T.nivale, hibbersonii and Pseudo trillium
rivale) I keep in pots as otherwise the slugs and snails have a feast
and they tend to get lost in the garden.   All my sessile South Eastern
American species (T.viridescens,stamineum, foetiddissimum, gracile,
decumbens, lancifolium, discolor, underwoodii, maculatum and decipiens)
I have to grow in a raised bed in a glasshouse or raised bed sheltered
by plastic glass to shed the rain and increase the warmth of our
summer..  The Trillium erectum  and chloropetalum and grandiflorum
groups are happy to grow out in the garden under apples on a slight
mound which helps to keep there rhizomes dryer.  None of the trilliums
will tolerate wind so woodlands arround is very helpfull.
Hopes this helps you to locate your trilliums in a happy environment.
Yours
Carl

G.Carlton Denton
Yorkshire England  Z8