[Trillium-l] Trillium-L Gallery Image Upload (3119)Hexastylis (Asarum) speciosa \"Woodlanders Select\"

Holmes holmes_harold at bellsouth.net
Wed May 4 04:35:08 CEST 2011

I guess I did a good thing by bringing up the Hexastylis/Asarum debate. Some
needed clarification  on the history that I knew nothing about. When I fell
in love with  and started propagating thoes beautiful plants that we called
"Evergreen Ginger", "Little Pigs", "Little Brown Jugs", "Heart Leaf Ginger"
and "Arrow Leaf Ginger", I thought it important that I find out what they
should be called.. After much searching I, like a few of you became
confused. (Sounds like my Trillium learning experience all over
again---grin). Since I was interested in propagation I went to William
Cullina's "Growing and Propagating Wildflowers" book. There I was introduced
to "Hexastylis" and a few of its species. I continued to search and then was
introduced to L. L. Gaddy's paper on Hexastylis Taxonomy and I thought it
was really great----I had the species discriptions I was looking for. I knew
the world was somewhat engaged in the Asarum/Hexastylis discussions but it
was of secondary inportance since I had the species descriptions I needed to
do my propagation work and search for surperior features in my seedlings.

In March 2011 when Tony came by and visited,  he explained briefly thatI
should be using Asarum instead of Hexastylis. Thanks Tony.

Aside the Asarum/Hexastylis issue----- Is the Gaddy species descriptions the
most valid descriptions??????

Harold Holmes