[Trillium-l] Best trillium year

The Grahams eldergrahams at me.com
Tue May 3 17:06:47 CEST 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Carl Denton wrote:

> I just want to put on record what a wonderful trillium year it is here
> in Yorkshire England. Over the past 20 years I have not known it so
> good. The reason is the lack of rain

Thank you Carl for your comments and observations. Hope your water shortage does not continue into the summer.

I have been puzzling about "our" Trillium year for some weeks now but have not come to ANY conclusions. We have had wet and cold to near record conditions, yet generally the Trillium look GREAT. Yes, there has been more than usual slug, hail and "fungus" damage. While some plants are as much as a month later than typical for bloom time here other areas are reporting an early season... (T. ovatum seemed on schedule here but the white sessile is still opening a few new blooms and has been 4-5 weeks later than last year.) There have been observations of unique flower colors or shifts from last year's colors (hibbersonii that bloomed all pink for the first time ever for example,...recurvatum that was green last year is maroon this year, etc.).

WE had snow and hail and frost along with excess rain every week in April, nothing typical about that for us. (We actually saw snow showers every day last week while "tripping" in Oregon and were not all that certain we would get over the last pass on the last day of the Trip!)

Some plants seem to be bigger and more robust than ever and I am truly mystified as to why unless it has been the cold snaps the last two winters with a VERY wet spring this year. Conditions quite different from what has produced the best year in 20 for YOU.

All Best,