[Trillium-l] Trillium-L Gallery Image Upload (3119)Hexastylis (Asarum) speciosa \"Woodlanders Select\"

Holmes holmes_harold at bellsouth.net
Tue May 3 03:18:07 CEST 2011

According to L. L. Gaddy's Hexastylis Taxonomy Review:
    Hexastylis considered distinct from Asarum, is endemic to SE US
describes 10 species and 5 varieties in 3 subgeneric groups (Arifolia,
Speciosa, and Virginica). Arifolia has 3 varieties (Var. arifolia,
callifolia, and ruthii.) and its leaves are mostly arrow /triangular shaped.
As children we referred to these as "Little Brown Jugs" or "Little Pigs"
having lunch.
The Virginica group has 8 species (shuttleworthii, contracta, heterophylla,
naniflora, lewisii, minor, virginica, and rhombiformis). Of these 8  most
have Heart shaped vividly mottled leaves and H. shuttleworthii has the
largest flowers. H. shuttleworthii has 2 varieties(var. shuttleworthii and
var. haperii---a spreading var.) H. "Callaway" is a select form of H.
shuttleworthii. var. harperii.  The Speciocia group only contains contains
only 1 species (H speeciosa. H. "Woodlanders Select" is a select form of H.
speciosa.

I have been propagating Hexastylis for 5 years. Many areas don't seem to
have pollenators for Hexastylis---I have excellent results with seed set,
seed germination and seedling transplant. In North Alabama I collect seed
and plant them the first week in June and get plant emergence the first
March, I Transplant seedlings at 4-8 month after emergence.

Harold Holmes Zone 7.