[Trillium-l] Trillium rivale S. Watson

Fern Hill fernhill at voicenet.com
Tue Jan 25 17:54:20 CET 2011

Russ,  Congratulations on some excellent archival searching!

All the discussion I've seen on the list in the last couple of weeks reminds
me of the "system" of naming plants when new discoveries in asia and the
Americas was entering Europe.  It was a rather incesteous matter of naming
after friends and "honoring" patrons.  In the case of the "delNorte"
trillium it appears that Halda was trying to give a high complement to his
friends. His publication of the name without any apparent archival or
laboratory research to support it was a failure of the peer review system of
scientific publication.  In view of the information and documentation that
you have found, I think that the Kew Index should reduce the confidence
level of this published name to zero.  It may exist as a horticultural
form/variety/selection, but certainly not as a species or subspecies.

If anyone is interested in the origin of some botanical names I strongly
suggest reading "Species of  Eternity"

John Gyer  Clarksboro  NJ  USA