[Trillium-l] Kew Plant List - Halda - Rivale hybrids

Richard Vagner richelles33 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 21:15:41 CET 2011

Hi Russ You have put the cap on the problem with nomenclature and that is
valid publication. A long time ago when I was interested in Orchid
nomenclature because in actively hybridizing Orchids I was finding some
rather strange inter generic combinations. I did a lot of research but ran
into the same thing I see in Trilliums and that is growers seek out every
name they can get their hands on to increase the size of their collection.
The same thing applied to Orchids and the list of hybrid Orchids became a
strange accumulation of hybrids. The naming of hybrids in Orchids follows a
set of rules which make much more sense than say the hybrids of Daylilys. A
hybrid using two species of Orchids, whether between genera or within the
same genus, gets the same name including the reverse cross. Thus instead of
everyone naming their hybrid a different name regardless of the parentage or
seed bearing parent doesn't exist and one can trace the parentage back to
reach a valid genetic conclusion.

I presently have a hybrid between Brassovola nodosa and Broughtonia
sanguinea which I picked up at a shop on the West coast a few years ago. It
blooms on the kitchen table, in the South facing window, and outside during
the warm months here in Alaska. I've collected both species in the wild,
including yellow forms of the Broughtonia, and know that the parents aren't
too bothered by culture conditions but the hybrid out does the parents by a
long way. In the wild the Brassovola grows in almost full sun on mostly
smooth barked trees in areas of fairly high rainfall. I'm unsure if it
really has a flowering season in the wild since every time I've seen it in
the wild there were some flowers visible. The Broughtonia, in Jamaica,
seemed to have a blooming season and it grew in what appeared to be dryer
areas although it also grew on smooth barked trees.

Now notice the hybrid grows indoors rather well here, makes growths year
around regardless of day length or light strength, and flowers as soon as
the growth gets partially mature.  The hybrid gets artificial light
all Winter at a much lower light level than it gets in the long Summer
days but gets gets watered frequently and is growing in a well drained
media. The flower color is a mixture of each parent with a lavender lip and
greenish petals. In the past I've had several hybrids between Broughtonia
and Cattleya  but none of those seemed so happy to be blooming year round
and under tough conditions for an Orchid.

What I'm trying to point out is my past knowledge of Broughtonia hybrids
didn't let me know this one would do so well under such disparate
conditions. Knowing how the parents grew in the wild didn't prepare me for
this hybrid but I wonder how similar hybrids between these two parents would
do.

However I digressed from my original complaint and that was the nomenclature
of Trillium species where I find it difficult to separate them under wild
conditions. The sessiles in the Southeastern United States are a complicated
group and I wonder if it is possible to differentiate them absolutely?
Recently we had another sessile from the Western United States which seems
to be confusing when trying to separate them in the wild. When populations
exhibit such wide ranges of characters that they merge in extant populations
where should we draw the species boundaries? If a percentage of the plants
in a given population have mixed characters are we dealing with
hybridization or incomplete evolution? Hybrids show characters that are
intermediate between the parents such as the hybrid I describe above which
in this case makes the plant much easier to grow under difficult conditions.
To me this is the beauty of hybrids in horticulture when they grow even
under conditions that neither parent seems to tolerate.