Mon Oct 11 06:33:13 CEST 2010

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: Susie Egan <segan at COTTAGELAKE.COM>
Subject: Re: growth status - report/request

Russell,

Most of my Trillium have gone completely dormant as well; however, I do h=ave
about a dozen very mature Trillium ovatum whose leaves are still green an=d
viable. They were the plants that I obtained through an authorized plant
rescue in the spring of 2006 (four years ago) up north off of Highway 20 =in
Washington State where they were going to bulldoze an area off the highwa=y
for a rest stop.  These trillium seemed to be very mature although most o=nly
had one stem at the time I rescued them.  I just moved many of them into =one
bed last week and noticed that some of them now have clumped up with at
least eight or more stems or terminal buds. I have had these plants on dr=ip
irrigation (some on drip emitters and others on drip sprayers) since comi=ng
into my garden and they are in perfect light conditions with a wonderful
humus soil top dressed each year with a layer of compost.  I can only gue=ss
that their maturity, the regular irrigation and the perfect growing
conditions have contributed to their staying green so long.  One of my
mature plants is now yellowing out because I turned off the drip system
about two weeks ago.  It is in more sun than other similar plants which a=re
greener who likewise had their drippers turned off at the same time but t=hey
were in deeper shade.

I can try to post pictures of the plant rescue showing what they looked l=ike
then and what they look like now after four years in the garden and showi=ng
how they have retained their green leaves up to now in the season.

Susie Egan
Cottage Lake Gardens
Woodinville, Washington, USA
Zone 7B