Wed May 16 17:18:34 CEST 2007

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: Fern Hill <fernhill at VOICENET.COM>
Subject: Trillium nurseries
Content-Transf er-Encoding: 7bit

Nearly all trillium in all gardens derive from wild collected plants.  Th=ese
things are not like dandelions.  They do not spontaneously pop up in gard=ens
and say HI.

The threats to large populations mentioned by Richard are real and are on=ly
part of the problems facing natural populations.  He did not mention deer
browsing or the depredations of wild pigs in the South.  Even the snuffli=ng
of Armadillos in search of grubs can uproot seedlings.  Forest fires - of=ten
set by intention to "clean out" undergrowth can severely damage populatio=ns
growing on organic soils where the rhizomes are near the surface.  Severe
browse damage and fire damage can happen even in heavily protected
populations.  In unprotected areas even endangered status is no assurance
that a population will continue.  I have seen about 20 acres of dense,
healthy TO. residuum totally destroyed by clear cutting and scraping with=no
effort at all to rescue the stressed plants during the year or so that
elapsed between cutting and scraping. As is the case for Franklinia,
horticultural propagation (preferably from know sources) may be the best =way
to assure the preservation of at least a sample of the diversity in the
germplasm of declining populations.   Massive commercial collection shoul=d
be discouraged, but the establishment of propagation gardens should be
encouraged.

I have worked on seed propagation of trillium for nearly 20 years.  The
seeds come mainly from a large public garden and the results are beginnin=g
to make sense.  My observations combined with those of several others on =the
list look as if an effective, though still long, propagation cycle is
possible.  I have been furnishing some flowering plants from this work to
local plant societies for their fund raiser sales. I find that I can bare=ly
cover my costs at $5.00/ plant - 10 times what Susan says is the going pr=ice
for bare root rhizomes on E-Bay.   Locally the response to and support of
seed grown trilliums has been good -but there is no fortune in it.

John Gyer  Clarksboro   NJ   USA

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl