Tue May 15 02:43:25 CEST 2007

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: wildlander <ken at WILDLANDERS.COM>
Subject: Re: Wildflower Nursery North Carolina

John,

Did you talk with these folks? This may not be as bad as it sounds. They =may
have just worded it badly. I myself am a native plant seed collector with=a
degree in ecology (range and wildlife habitat management). In my experien=ce
working with the nurseries, it is not worth the time or effort to collect
whole plants out in the field. For the most part, they would not survive =the
long time between the first one being dug and the last and the long trip
back to the nursery. Many plants do not survive digging during their grow=th
period. not to mention crushing and such during transportation en masse.
Essentially, it is FAR more efficient to grow them from seeds on site. Ev=ery
nursery I know of here in the Northwest grows from seeds. And there are a
few collectors like myself who actually manage for the long term health a=nd
sustainability of the communities including no more than 10 percent of se=ed
and identifing multimple stands so that we can rotate over the years to
assure a soil seed reserve and little or no effect on the native communit=ies
on which we are dependent for our livelihoods.

In otherwords, like duck and goose hunters who established the National
Wildlife Refuges, ethical seed collectors are the most important watchdog=s
for native plants... speaking out when they are threatened by development=,
recreation, etc.

It is possible what these folks meant is that they collect SEED and not t=he
plants themselves. I do not know them but someone should talk to them. No=te
also, such collections are illegal in most places of the US. Nearly all o=f
our wild areas are on US Forest Service or National Park lands and diggin=g
of plants are rarely allowed and never in the parks. The USFS has a polic=y
and permits that allow the taking of some common species but otherwise
prohibit the digging of plants.  I am not even allowed to take seeds even
when they are purchased ultimately by reclamation nurseries - the plants
grown at the nurseries and used for reclamation back on the USFS lands fr=om
which they came... which is very ironic.

-Ken.