Seed-x germination

John Humphries greenmanplants at YAHOO.CO.UK
Tue Dec 18 17:26:47 CET 2007

Michael,

I've had Paris quadrifolia and P. fargesii from seed.  Very similar in germination, growing on, to Trillium, as you would expect, Small strap leaf first year wider single leaf second year then maturing to 2 3 or 4 leaflets in third year as do Trillium to 2 or 3, I'm not beyond that yet but I imagine I won't have flowers this year (4th).  Quadrifolia only sometimes flowers with 4 leaves and is much more common at 5 when offshoots in the garden, I would imagine as a seed grown, small rhizome it will need to be at least 1 single strong 5 leaved plant or at least a couple of shoots from the same rhizome before it has enough strength to flower.

The quadrifolia germinates fairly readily after being sown fresh, slightly underripe, the fargesii took 3 years to germinate and I'm not 100% clear as to what finally triggered it, again it was sown fresh as were several variants on P. polyphylla, none of which have as yet presented themselves.

John H, Hampshire England zone 8/9, -2 - +6C these past few nights.  Good few snowdrops on the go now with an apparent absence of the usual autumn ones.

Michael Loos <bonsaigai37 at AOL.COM> wrote:
Hello All,
I am pleased to be the proud parent of T. chloropetalum seedlings; my
first Trillium from seed. The seeds germinated from an 8/27, seed-x
sowing. About a month ago, each seed was treated with one drop of GA-3 -
perhaps unnecessarily... The seeds quickly became swollen and within a
week after treatment, germinated. Others planted on the same date have
not germinated but a few other species are showing signs.

A few years ago I thought that it was simply crazy to grow Trillium from
seed. Ah, to be older and a bit more patient (with plants at least.)

Quick question, the Paris also germinated. Is that genus 7 years until
flowering as well?

Michael
in cold snowy Cleveland, Ohio zone 6 or so.

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl

Sent from Yahoo! &#45; a smarter inbox.

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl