early southern T. underwoodii break ground

John T Lonsdale john at JOHNLONSDALE.NET
Sat Dec 1 23:50:30 CET 2007

charset="us-ascii"

Charles,

Nothing up here yet but dibbling around those same plants have their light
tubes at soil surface.  They usually come through here in late
December/early January.  We are cooling down now and starting to get below
freezing regularly at night - long may it continue.

I was in the Florida panhandle and saw these underwoodii in mid-February
2007 and in one location the flowers were already well over and the leaves
were looking rather ratty!    At one location there was significant frost
damage (unusually late) to other flora but it hadn't bothered the trilliums.
I'm sure they are emerging right about now in habitat.  Those same habitats
seem to suffer from massive deer predation and also a couple of fungi, one
which goes for the leaves, the other which obviously enjoys the higher
humidity around the flower and destroys the flower (and eventually the
leaves because the junction between them and the stem is destroyed) before
any seed can set.  The combination of these factors doesn't bode well for
the medium-long term success of these populations.

It would appear that they have almost no vernalization requirements compared
with their 'northern' brethren.   They figure that it is safe to come up now
and prepare for flowering in a couple of months.

J.

John T Lonsdale PhD
407 Edgewood Drive,
Exton, Pennsylvania 19341, USA