Wed Mar 31 20:39:18 CEST 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: Richard Vagner <richelles at CHARTER.NET>
Subject: Re: Trillium- Direction of Flower

This is a rather neat question. I have observed that in the wild where th=ere
is theoretically no disturbance most pedicellate Trillium flowers face th=e
same direction. That more Trilliums are found on north facing slopes is
something I have been aware of for some time. However I've never looked a=t
what direction the rhizome is facing. But there is one thing about many
pedicellate Trilliums that I have found in wild populations. In some
Trilliums it seems the rhizomes curve but the curvature is toward the
direction the rhizome is growing (the roots pull the front downward raisi=ng
the rear of the rhizome toward the surface). I've seen this curve many ti=mes
in T. sulcatum but it also occurs in others. I have to remove some Trilli=ums
this season that are in an area where that will become a road in the futu=re
and I could make some observatons of the direction the rhizomes are facin=g.

Richard on the Mountain in Gatlinburg seeing rain today, much needed rain
since it's been too dry.
(Maybe the power that is seems to think the Kiiws need a cleansing after
being exposed to the GC)