Wed Mar 31 17:11:20 CEST 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: John Little <jhlittle at CO.DEKALB.GA.US>
Subject: Trillium- Direction of Flower

I am wondering if anyone has studied the pedicellates to determine if the=re
is a foolproof way to determine which direction the flower will face
relative to the position of the rhizome. I have a number that have I
planted that insist on facing away from my paths.
I have heard some say, but not authoritatively, that light exposure is th=e
controlling factor. This does not seem to me to be true, at least in all
cases. I have intended to make a study of this by turning around some
rhizomes but am reluctant to do so until I have more plants to work with.
I am concerned that the disturbance could set back the flowering or
maturation of the plants. Plus I just seem to always find something else =to
do. And most of mine are Sessiles.
For those of you visiting the Pocket you will notice the flexipies on the
north facing slope primarily face north which may not be the direction of
maximum solar exposure. Do all those flexipies rhizomes grow in the same
direction?
I know Susan has done scientific studies but I'll venture a guess she has
not studied this because it is basically a gardening question. Susan, I
highly recommend you go to the Pocket Saturday with the ultimate, but
unofficial, member of the GC, Tom Patrick. Bet you two can work up some
lively conversation. If you do go, please give us all a report next week.
I think I asked Tom this question, but being a botanist, not a gardener, =he
did not have a definitive answer.

John Little
Lithonia GA Z7

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl