Tue Mar 23 20:54:17 CET 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: Paul Tessene <ptessene at INHS.UIUC.EDU>
Subject: Re: New Zealanders in Georgia
9==_ma======== ===="

--============_-1132050839==_ma=============

>Hi To Charles and other trillium growers in the States.
>Pleased to hear that Don and his chums made it safely and unscathed thro=ugh
>all the security checks at LA and elsewhere.
>
>New Zealand has the great advantage of being very SMALL - in physical si=ze
>and in population, with a single, central government so that in general,=we
>all have similar aims and objects and whatever affects one, effects all.
>It's not so difficult to organize a group of like-minded people from aro=und
>the whole country to achieve a common goal. And because we're so small w=ith
>little influence in the big, wide world, we look to find out what's out
>there and learn about what everyone else is up to. There's masses in our
>newspapers about the USA but I'll bet there's precious little in the
>American papers about NZ. That's OK - there are some advantages in being
>obscure and relatively isolated.
>
>On the other hand, some Americans seem to like our quiet way of life bec=ause
>they're coming here in droves to live permanently. If only they could br=ing
>their trilliums, cypripediums et al, with them!
>
>Regards to all
>Lesley Cox in Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand - Zone 8-9

Just wanted everyone to know that New Zealand did make the news here,
the New York Times, in fact (no mention of Trilliums, however).

The article below is about efforts toward the conservation of several
rare bird species in the country.  The examples given are the royal
albatross, the yellow-eyed penguin, and the kiwi (of course) all
quite rare.  (The latter two are flightless, and are easy prey for
feral cats and dogs)   The title of the article is "In the Land of
Kiwis, the Winged Variety Is Disappearing" and it is free, but you
have to register.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/23/science/23BIRD.html

Paul Tessene
Urbana, Illinois

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl
--============_-1132050839==_ma=============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
in the States.<br>
Pleased to hear that Don and his chums made it safely and unscathed
through<br>
all the security checks at LA and elsewhere.<br>
New Zealand has the great advantage of being very SMALL - in physical
size<br>
and in population, with a single, central government so that in
general, we<br>
all have similar aims and objects and whatever affects one, effects
all.<br>
It's not so difficult to organize a group of like-minded people from
around<br>
the whole country to achieve a common goal. And because we're so small
with<br>
little influence in the big, wide world, we look to find out what's
out<br>
there and learn about what everyone else is up to. There's masses in
our<br>
newspapers about the USA but I'll bet there's precious little in
the<br>
American papers about NZ. That's OK - there are some advantages in
being<br>
obscure and relatively isolated.<br>
On the other hand, some Americans seem to like our quiet way of life
because<br>
they're coming here in droves to live permanently. If only they could
bring<br>
their trilliums, cypripediums et al, with them!<br>
Regards to all</blockquote>
Zealand - Zone 8-9</blockquote>
here, the New York Times, in fact (no mention of Trilliums,
however).</div>
several rare bird species in the country.&nbsp; The examples given are
the royal albatross, the yellow-eyed penguin, and the kiwi (of course)
all quite rare.&nbsp; (The latter two are flightless, and are easy
prey for feral cats and dogs)&nbsp;&nbsp; The title of the article is
&quot;In the Land of Kiwis, the Winged Variety Is Disappearing&quot;
and it is free, but you have to register.</div>
Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl