Sat Mar 13 03:57:32 CET 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: Pacific Rim <paige at HILLKEEP.CA>
Subject: Re: Trillium growth

Richard from Gatlinburg observes Trillium in the wild on a scale difficul=t
for most of us to imagine. Cecil B. De Mille comes to mind. :-)

Here in southwestern British Columbia, only TT ovatum and hibbersonii are
native. I have quite a few spp. from beyond in seed-grown quantities, not
yet flowering size.
Our winter was colder than usual, but our spring is coming faster than
usual -- temperatures zoom up by day, then drop to near frost by night.
Whim-whams.

Tentative Trillium observations:

1. Genes trump temperature? Trilliums native to warmer climates rise earl=ier
here than natives, even if this is not to their local advantage. These ar=e
seed-grown plants (with one exception, won at a raffle years ago, whose
provenance is Tennessee or some such; nonetheless it fits the pattern of
rising earlier than local plants, underlining my case).

2. Habitat trumps age?  I had hordes of Trillium kurabayashii. Let's skip
whether kurabayashii deserves separate status for now; these seeds were
collected by Phyllis Gustafson and were from one population.

My plants were all in one tray from thread-leaf stage through spade-leaf.=At
that point, imagining that the strength of this lot implied vigor in the
species, I gave many plantlets away.

I also tucked 11 into a very shady, pretty mineral, moss-covered habitat =--
the backside of a rock garden.

I tucked 8 more into an open, sloping but again very shady habitat that
differed mainly in being all humus.

I fed both what I thought they might require if living only on air, divid=ed
by 3.

One year later they all have three leaves but those in the humusy habitat
have leaves *at least * twice as large as those in the mineral one.

Stop press. Fine. But we gardeners seldom measure anything. Here is at le=ast
a vague measure.

What interests me now is that despite different nutrition and different
habitat, both groups of kurabayashii have three leaves.

This has been described as a matter of nutrition. Age and other factors
might also count.

Paige Woodward
paige at hillkeep.ca
www.hillkeep.ca