Sat Mar 13 00:02:57 CET 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: Richard and Michelle Vagner <Richelles at CHARTER.NET>
Subject: Re: Trillium growth

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4085C.3FDABDD0

I just got back from my tour of the National Park between 1200' and =
3300' elevation. From Pigeon forge to Gatlinburg I found many T. luteum =
up with a fair percentage in bud. Nothing open and none far enough along ==
to show any color through the sepals. The straight line distance between ==
the outskirts of Pigeon Forge to the highest point where I've found T. =
luteum is 10 miles. By road it is somewhat further with many turns and =
some switchbacks along the way. What was unusual is that the altitude =
didn't matter about the stage of growth in the plants I examined. At the ==
Chimneys Picnic Area I didn't find any T. luteum or simile or =
grandiflorum up. But a short distance away and at about 50' higher =
elevation.  I began to find some plants that seemed to be at the same =
stage in bud as at 1100'. Thus it would seem that all of them began =
their spurt of growth during the recent warm spell. Above 2000' there =
was snow in the shady areas that hadn't melted from the recent rains. I =
didn't go up to 5000' today but from where I was it looked like lots of =
snow up higher. Above 2880' I searched the known areas where I had found ==
luteum previously but found no luteum up in any of the westward exposure ==
sites.

So luteum is a few days away from open flowers up to 2880' feet. Above =
that it hasn't made an appearance and I don't recall from previous years ==
whether there was any time difference between the higher altitude =
plants. However with T. grandiflorum the bloom time seems the same all =
the way up 441. Once you see a grandiflorum in bloom it seems they are =
in bloom all the way up to their maximum. The simile I found today were =
tightly wrapped leaves with none open far enough to see buds in the =
centers. I haven't looked at the pictures yet and it may be several days ==
before I get them on my web page but I really don't think anyone is =
anxious to see Trilliums that don't have open flowers.

Richard on the Mountain in Gatlinburg. Down to the low 20s tonight so =
going across the mountains in the morning should be a sliding =
experience. Slow and steady as she goes.

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C4085C.3FDABDD0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; =
charset=iso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I just got back from my tour of the ==
[...]
at about 50' higher elevation.&nbsp; I began to find some plants that =
seemed to
be at the same stage in bud as at 1100'. Thus it would seem that all of =
them
began their spurt of growth during the recent warm spell. Above 2000' =
there was
snow in the shady areas that hadn't melted from the recent rains. I =
didn't go up
to 5000' today but from where I was it looked like lots of snow up =
higher. Above
2880' I searched the known areas where I had found luteum previously but ==
found
no luteum up in any of the westward exposure sites. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>So luteum is a few days away from op=en =
[...]
flowers.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Richard on the Mountain in Gatlinbur=g. =
Down to the
low 20s tonight so going across the mountains in the morning should be a ==
sliding
experience. Slow and steady as she goes.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl