Wed Mar 3 00:02:45 CET 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: Kirk Zufelt <zufelt_k at GHC.ON.CA>
Subject: Re: Spring!!!!
Content-Dispos ition: inline

I thought H.multifidus was deciduous?

Kirk Zufelt
Saullt. Ste. Marie, On

"Jim McClements, Dover, DE z6" wrote:

> However, the true stars of the garden at this moment are the
> Helleborus thibetanus, opening flowers ranging from almost pure
white
> to a deep pink. All of the other hellebores are showing buds, but H.
> thibetanus (the only deciduous hellebore species) bursts from the
> ground with buds starting to open, and is truly spectacular.

Jim,

there's at least one other deciduous Helleborus - H. viridis ssp.
occidentalis. I's blooming right now, along with all the other
hellebores. I have to admit it's far from being equal to H.
thibetanus,
the flowers are green, but it's still a very nice one. If you want
seed,
just tell me - I hope it'll set some. Also if I'm not mistaken, H.
multifidus is deciduous, too... blooming now as well.

Otherwise, Trilliums are still more or less asleep, here close to
Paris;
only T. sessile is up with one bud that looks good - the first time
bloom is expected. T. grandiflorum shoots are just kissing the sun,
and
the rest of them that I had before David Mellard sent me a boxfull are
still below the ground.

David's gifts are mostly up - they were starting to grow in the mail -
and I hope I'll keep them intact; it's freezing every night, not much,
but enough to bother. The weather is sunny and terribly dry... today I
cracked, and watered the woodland. Crocuses everywhere, dwarf
Narcissus
just opening, snowdrops about to wilt, Leucojum vernum looking its
best,
and Daphne odora perfuming the garden! Spring is here, freezes or no
freezes.

Daniela

Gretz, near Paris, France

from your computer)you may go to the Trillium-L archives and select
the

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl