Mon Mar 1 21:50:58 CET 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: aaron floden <aaron_floden at YAHOO.COM>
Subject: Re: Mystery shrub?

Hello,

form the email a minute ago you know that you did not
win, but I have Dirca here in Kansas. I have only
found it on one little hillside, but it dominates the
understory fairly well.

Aaron

--- michael broz <mikeb47591 at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

---------------------------------

Hello Aaron, my original guess would have been Sweet
shrub or Paw-paw both in my woods, but give this a
try:  Dirca Paultris (leatherwood), I just started
growing this one as well. By the books common but I've
never seen it locally and I had alot of trouble
getting info/sources for it. Mine are not large enough
to flower/seed.

I'm encl this info/pics to help :

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/courses/img/bot/401/Magnoliophyta/Magnoliops=ida/Rosidae/Thymelaeaceae/Dirca%20palustris/

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Dircapa.htm