Sat Jul 31 20:53:08 CEST 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: "Jim McClements, Dover, DE z6" <JimMcClem at AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: Germinating Podophyllum

--part1_1d2.275e68e7.2e3d4494_boundary

In a message dated 7/31/04 3:26:36 AM, greenmanplants at YAHOO.CO.UK writes:

> I haven't yet seen any asiatics popping up where I
> haven't planted them, but I have noticed that you can
> propagate them from a tiny bit of root which in itself
> is probably a bit of a worry.=A0 I don't just mean the
> thick rhizome which if split into 1/2" pieces will
> sprout on every knuckle, much the same as side buds on
> trillium developing after removing the lead bud.=A0 But,
> and it's a big but, also from the fibrous root if it
> has a nodule on it.=A0 This makes me think they might be
> pretty difficult to remove, if that decision were once
> taken. However, a friend who has just returned from
> China commented that he only saw them growing by
> themselves, in rock cracks and the like. His
> conclusion, either they brook no competition or they
> can stand no competition?? Anyone got any views on
> this??

John

Very interesting info!

I got my first asiatic Podophyllum, as "Dysosma pleiantha", in 1988. Afte=r a=

few years it shot up 3-4 "pups", one at least 10 feet from the parent. I=
assumed that this was stoloniferous growth. At that time I had begun corr=esp=
onding
with Julian Shaw about the genus, and he was quite interested in what was=
happening to mine. At his request I sent him several photos of the "stolo=ns"=
and
he told me that these were adventitious root buds that were giving rise t=o t=
he
pups, not stolons. Botanists (which I am not) obviously draw a distinctio=n
here, but the end result is essentially the same.

Your observation about pieces of root giving rise to new plants would see=m t=
fit that pattern, and would also seem to open the door to an easy way of=
vegetatively propagating the better clones. Have you (or anyone else on t=he =
list)
done this to any degree? Any details to share? Since the individual clone=s o=
most Podophyllums (including P.   peltatum) are often self-sterile, relia=ble=

veg. prop. could be very useful in reproducing some of the forms with=2=0
spectacular foliage.

The name "Dysosma" has been the Chinese term for Podophyllum, except for =P.
hexandrum/emodi, and is still used by Chen Yi and the other Chinese
distributors. Shaw's recent work has revised the taxonomy, and he merges =Dys=
osma into
Podophyllum, with several sections under the genus. However, plants keep=
appearing which don't always fit the key, and Shaw suspects that a great =num=
ber may
represent relict hybrid forms.

Hybridization seems quite likely, since P. peltatum and P. pleianthum see=m t=
cross easily. Shaw told me about this a few years ago and I have about a=
dozen plants from the cross, none of which have flowered as yet. The foli=age=
of
the hybrids varies considerably, some close to the asiatic, toothed leaf,=an=
some like P. peltatum.

It may take quite a while for this genus to be sorted out taxonomically, =but=

they are certainly fun to grow in a woodland garden, and except for needi=ng
occasional protection from late frosts, do well in my area.

Jim

Jim McClements
50 S. Prestwick Ct, Dover, Delaware, 19904, USA, Zone 7a

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl

--part1_1d2.275e68e7.2e3d4494_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR="#000000" FACE=="Gen=
eva" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" SIZE="2"><BR>
In a message dated 7/31/04 3:26:36 AM, greenmanplants at YAHOO.CO.UK writes:=<BR=

<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE CITE STYLE="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: =5px; =
MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px" TYPE="CITE"></FONT><FONT COLOR=="#0=
00000" FACE="Geneva" FAMILY="SANSSERIF" SIZE="2">I haven't ye=t seen an=
y asiatics popping up where I<BR>
haven't planted them, but I have noticed that you can<BR>
propagate them from a tiny bit of root which in itself<BR>
is probably a bit of a worry.=A0 I don't just mean the<BR>
thick rhizome which if split into 1/2" pieces will<BR>
sprout on every knuckle, much the same as side buds on<BR>
trillium developing after removing the lead bud.=A0 But,<BR>
and it's a big but, also from the fibrous root if it<BR>
has a nodule on it.=A0 This makes me think they might be<BR>
pretty difficult to remove, if that decision were once<BR>
taken. However, a friend who has just returned from<BR>
China commented that he only saw them growing by<BR>
themselves, in rock cracks and the like. His<BR>
conclusion, either they brook no competition or they<BR>
can stand no competition?? Anyone got any views on<BR>
this??<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" FACE="Geneva" FAMILY=="SANSSE=
RIF" SIZE="2"><BR>
<BR>
John<BR>
<BR>
Very interesting info!<BR>
<BR>
I got my first asiatic Podophyllum, as "Dysosma pleiantha", in 1988. Afte=r a=
few years it shot up 3-4 "pups", one at least 10 feet from the parent. I=as=
sumed that this was stoloniferous growth. At that time I had begun corres=pon=
ding with Julian Shaw about the genus, and he was quite interested in wha=t w=
as happening to mine. At his request I sent him several photos of the "st=olo=
ns" and he told me that these were adventitious root buds that were givin=g r=
ise to the pups, not stolons. Botanists (which I am not) obviously draw a=di=
stinction here, but the end result is essentially the same.<BR>
<BR>
Your observation about pieces of root giving rise to new plants would see=m t=
o fit that pattern, and would also seem to open the door to an easy way o=f v=
egetatively propagating the better clones. Have you (or anyone else on th=e l=
ist) done this to any degree? Any details to share? Since the individual =clo=
nes of most Podophyllums (including P.&nbsp;  peltatum) are often self-st=eri=
le, reliable veg. prop. could be very useful in reproducing some of the f=orm=
s with spectacular foliage.<BR>
<BR>
The name "Dysosma" has been the Chinese term for Podophyllum, except for =P. =
hexandrum/emodi, and is still used by Chen Yi and the other Chinese distr=ibu=
tors. Shaw's recent work has revised the taxonomy, and he merges Dysosma =int=
o Podophyllum, with several sections under the genus. However, plants kee=p a=
ppearing which don't always fit the key, and Shaw suspects that a great n=umb=
er may represent relict hybrid forms.<BR>
<BR>
Hybridization seems quite likely, since P. peltatum and P. pleianthum see=m t=
o cross easily. Shaw told me about this a few years ago and I have about =a d=
ozen plants from the cross, none of which have flowered as yet. The folia=ge =
of the hybrids varies considerably, some close to the asiatic, toothed le=af,=
and some like P. peltatum.<BR>
<BR>
It may take quite a while for this genus to be sorted out taxonomically, =but=
they are certainly fun to grow in a woodland garden, and except for need=ing=
occasional protection from late frosts, do well in my area.<BR>
<BR>
Jim<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Jim McClements<BR>
50 S. Prestwick Ct, Dover, Delaware, 19904, USA, Zone 7a<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" FACE="Geneva" FAMILY="SANSSERIF"=SIZE="=
2"></FONT></HTML>