Fri Jul 9 18:00:14 CEST 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: Fern Hill <fernhill at VOICENET.COM>
Subject: Re: T. undulatum culture/ t.catesbyii

------=_NextPart_000_0117_01C465AC.4B0C3CD0

Several years ago I got a T.catesbyii from a friend's back woods in =
South Carolina.  It grew in a very thin leaf duff over red clay.  The =
roots and rhizome were entirely in the clay.  The PH was 5.5.

Another friend near Saluda had T.catesbyii growing very happily from =
seed to flowering plants on a moss bank over clay in his rhododendron =
collection.

Richard-on-the-mountain showed Janet and me a site where T.catesbyii =
grew in dryish, crumbly clay and avoided the leaf duff very near by =
where T.vaseyii grew well.  T.vaseyii avoided the clay.

In a North Carolina site I stumbled on T.catesbyii appeared to grow in =
relatively deep leaf duff.  The leaf duff was about 3 inches deep, but =
the rhizome and roots were in the clay beneath.  I took a picture of =
that one with ruler in place for reference.

My impression from all this is that the clay around the roots keeps them ==
from drying severely during drought times in the summer.  The organic =
layer, if there is one, dries much faster and more severely.  Catesbyii =
may be unhappy in organic garden soil because of this adaptation.  Mine =
from the SC wood lot has grown happily in acidic sandy clay here in NJ =
for 7 years.

John Gyer  Clarksboro  NJ  USA

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl
------=_NextPart_000_0117_01C465AC.4B0C3CD0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; =
charset=iso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Several years ago I got a T.catesbyi=i =
from a
friend's back woods in South Carolina.&nbsp; It grew in a very thin leaf ==
duff
over red clay.&nbsp; The roots and rhizome were entirely in the =
clay.&nbsp; The
PH was 5.5.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Another friend near Saluda had =
T.catesbyii growing
very happily from seed to flowering plants on a moss bank over clay in =
his
rhododendron collection.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Richard-on-the-mountain showed Janet==
and me a site
where T.catesbyii grew in dryish, crumbly clay and avoided the leaf duff ==
very
near by where T.vaseyii grew well.&nbsp; T.vaseyii avoided the =
clay.&nbsp;
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>In a North Carolina site I stumbled =on =
T.catesbyii
appeared to grow in relatively deep leaf duff.&nbsp; The leaf duff was =
about 3
inches deep, but the rhizome and roots were in the clay beneath.&nbsp; I ==
took a
picture of that one with ruler in place for reference.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>My impression from all this is that =the =
clay around
the roots keeps them from drying severely during drought times in the=2=0
summer.&nbsp; The organic layer, if there is one, dries much faster and =
more
severely.&nbsp; Catesbyii may be unhappy in organic garden soil because =
of this
adaptation.&nbsp; Mine from the SC wood lot has grown happily in acidic =
sandy
clay here in NJ for 7 years.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>John Gyer&nbsp; Clarksboro&nbsp; =
NJ&nbsp;
USA</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl