Thu Jul 8 00:16:50 CEST 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: Leo Smit <elsumpn at CHEBUCTO.NS.CA>
Subject: Re: Asarum hartwegii

For what it's worth, I've had Asarum hartwegii growing quite nicely
here for 4 or 5 years now (against initial expectations), in Zone 5
(usually with snow cover). Rate of spread is but centimetres per year,
but it does manage to remain evergreen (barely) and has been
self-seeding beneath itself. However, it's not a sure thing in Nova
Scotia, as a few customers have reported losing theirs over winters.

Of my two yard plants, the one in the brighter shade is spreading at
about twice the rate of the other and has larger leaves. The soil in
their bed was mixed as about equal parts of garden soil, compost, and
bark of mixed sizes up to about 5cm x 5cm. They probably get a bit dry
in late summer most years but not so dry that Rhodos go into a snit.

-Leo
Leo Smit
Mt Uniacke, Nova Scotia, Canada
USDA Zone 5-ish, semi-maritime