Tue Jul 6 23:57:42 CEST 2004

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: The Grahams <grahams at OPEN.ORG>
Subject: Western sessile observations
Content-transf er-encoding: 7bit

I am checking seed pods almost daily (and have still missed a couple of
chances as there were only shells when I arrived).  As a result I have ma=de
a couple of observations in relation to "fruit" of some of the westerners
(the eastern species will not ripen for several weeks/days yet)

T. rivale ripens first, then ovatum.  T. ovatum splits and drops seed wit=h
little if any obvious insect involvement.

T. parviflorum (the local white sessile) and chloropetalum are next and s=eem
to ripen together.  Interesting that this year at least it is very diffic=ult
to tell any difference in the berries/fruits.   Also noticing that as the
seed pods ripen they become very dark purple black and appear as though t=hey
had been waxed (very shiny instead of a dull purple when "greener").  The
pods of both are quite smooth (when ripe no obvious seams, ridges or
segments) and the color will stain your fingers when processing the seed.

Based on 'seed pod taxonomy' alone I am about to concede that there may b=e
more than one species of western sessile Trillium!  Albidum and
angustipetalum and kurabayashii are not ripe yet and they all have simila=r
shaped pods distinct from the ones in the paragraph above, but the pod
colors seem distinct as well.  The pods are ridged (although more smoothl=y
than grandiflorum, ovatum or erectum), the skin is thicker, and they all
have three curved "claws" that extend beyond the top of the pod. Albidum =is
green that becomes lighter as it ripens.  The other two become much darke=r
as they ripen but do not get shiny and are not as black/purple as
parviflorum or chloropetalum.

The kurabayashii pods are very impressive on mature plants.  (Some young
seedlings have flowered and the seed pods on those 5/6 year old plants ar=e
not much to look at.)  So I went out and measured them.  AND they are 1.5
in. (4-4.5 cm.) in dia., and 1.75+ to 2 in. (5-6cm.) tall.  Measurements =are
form plants that have been in place for a number of years and had 3 and 4
blooms respectively this season.

Perhaps this information will help those that responded to the poll but a=re
not certain what species they are growing.

Best Regards,

Russell Graham - Purveyor of Plants - grahams at open.org - Zone 7 - Salem,
Oregon

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl