Aborted T.grandiflorum flore plena flowers

WHILLANS whillans at XTRA.CO.NZ
Wed Oct 22 12:20:44 CEST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi Joy
I'm not convinced that we should be adding lime to Trillium =grandiflorum.
I have moved, as you know, and my previous garden had very acid soil. I =flowered three plants of Trillium grandiflorum flore pleno beautifully =every year in a very acid soil, rich in leaf mould.. The fourth plant =was in totally different soil with a high clay content - no idea about =its acidity, but it aborted  the buds every year.

The late Ethel Doyle had a large plant of T grandiflorum fl.pl. and she =grew it in a raised bed where the growing medium was pure sawdust, =(acid), from sawmills that cut timber from Pinus radiata. You know how =well her plant flowered - it was stunning, year after year.

All of which makes me question the wisdom of adding lime to T =grandiflorum.

I grow the following trilliums in the same bed, where the soil is acid : =
T albidum, catesbaei, cernuum, chloropetalum, cuneatum, erectum, =flexipes, grandiflorum, luteum, ovatum, pusillum v ozarkanum, =recurvatum, rivale, rugellii, sessile, sulcatum, and vaseyi. They all =flower freely and seem healthy, and  I never add lime.

Joan Whillans New Zealand

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl