Lime and trilliums

Charles S. Hunter 2csh at BELLSOUTH.NET
Wed Oct 22 04:32:37 CEST 2003

charset="iso-8859-1"

Well I would certainly defer to him because Don Jacobs has a talent for =growing things- he could grow a palm tree on the north pole.

Charles Hunter, Smyrna, Georgia

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim McClements, Dover, DE z6
To: TRILLIUM-L at NIC.SURFNET.NL
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 8:32 PM
Subject: Lime and trilliums

For what it's worth, Don Jacobs once told me that when he's planting =anything in the garden, he walks around with an apron with pockets =containing fertilizer and limestone (crushed, I think) which he =sprinkles in every planting hole. When I asked him about pH effects, he =indicated that he used the limestone because everything needs calcium, =not to alter the pH. Perhaps Carl and others who think lime is important =for T. grandiflorum and other species, are getting good results because =of the lack of calcium in their soil, rather than a pH shift.

Jim

Jim McClements
50 S. Prestwick Ct, Dover, Delaware, USA, Zone 7a
Search the Trillium-L archives - =http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/trillium-l.html

To change your Trillium-L subscription options (includes joining or =leaving the list and "no-mail" for vacations and holidays away from your =computer)you may go to the Trillium-L archives and select the link *Join =or Leave this list*. (You can modify there also.)

For help with this list, send an e-mail to the listowners at: =Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl =========================================================================

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl