Aborted T.grandiflorum flore plena flowers

K Zufelt zufelt_k at GHC.ON.CA
Mon Oct 20 17:58:42 CEST 2003

Hello,

I am not sure I can tell you why your Trillium are aborting but I can
share a few insights from my garden. I grow several doubles including
"Snow Bunting" which always flower well. I live in Northern Ontario and
my soil is quite acidic. The common native ground cover is Cornus
canadensis. I have never added lime to my trillium and they thrive. The
exception may be T. stamineum but I spoke to Don Jacobs about this and
he felt that this species had done well for him in slightly acidic soil.
So I really can't imagine that your plants need the addition of lime
chips. Certainly in the wild in Northen Ontario T.grandiflorum grows in
areas with mildly acidic soil. In regards to drainage I can't imagine
that T.grandiflorum needs an elevated bed to thrive. It thrives in
regular woodland soil in my garden and all the places I have seen it
grow. It certainly likes upland habitat and isn't found in boggy soil
but fast drainage is certainly not a requirement.

I remember when this subject was brought up last year people speculated
on the lack of a cold dormant period as being a possible issue. Could it
be possible that the plants themselves have some intrinsic problem e.g.
viral infection. Are all the plants so affected from a common ancestor?
Do the regular T. grandiflorum bloom well in your area?

Good Luck.

Kirk Zufelt
Sault Ste. Marie,Ont.
Canada -35C
>>> stack_joy at PARADISE.NET.NZ 12/31/96 07:07AM >>>

Hi Trillium people,

I live in Mid-Canterbury (middle of the south island) New Zealand. Our
climate seems to be very conducive to Trillium growing, but I have this
terrible problem, as have others in the area, of aborted flowers on
Trillium grandiflorum flore plena.

In a group of 6 plants, I have 20 aborted flowers and one only less
than perfect bloom.  Every year this happens, despite quantities of
potash, old horse manure, and lime chips heaped on their heads.  The
drainage is good and compost and lime chips and sand were incorporated
into the original planting site. I have heard a theory that if the
dormant rhizomes were to be lifted closer to the surface, the problem
would be solved.

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl