Specific place for Trillium cuneatum

Mellard, David dam7 at CDC.GOV
Tue Oct 14 17:19:12 CEST 2003

>    An aside... I can not understand why this trillium is ignored for the
most part. Some of the best foliage in trillium is in this species. Because
it is relatively easily obtained that makes it "common" and therefore
>undesirable? It is also highly variable in size,

I couldn't agree more.  It was the first trillium I ever saw and so it the
bane of my trillium obsession.  I initially was bored with cuneatum thinking
that other sessile species were better and more exotic.  Now that I've seen
almost all of them in the wild, I've come back to Trillium cuneatum.  One of
the best things to see is to find a large untouched cuneatum patch.  Not
only is the variation in leaf pattern fantastic, but you are more likely to
find mutations, both in leaf patterns and shading, and in petal color.  The
combination of variation in leaf and petal pattern and color makes for some
wonderful finds.  So when people ask me what my favorite trillium is, the
answer is cuneatum.

David
Atlanta

Trillium-L-request at nic.surfnet.nl