Sat Aug 1 00:41:05 CEST 1998

Sender: "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other Woodland pl=
From: George Carlton Denton <Trilliums at COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject: Re: Red Berry Thread -Whoa

Message text written by "Trillium Enthusiast Discussion List (and other
Woodland plants)"
>   Whoa......
what we have right now are some seed pods which don't seem to mat==
ch
other that we are used to. Anecdotal info that the flowers were
grandiflorum. References to red-berried grandiflorum that appear in sever==
al
books, but about which nothing is clear..i.e. was there an orginal mistak==
and no one who wrote after bothered to actually verify the claim - or is ==
it
common in that area?
We are at the beginning, the very beginning.  Caution and
methodical
analysis seems to be called for.  I hesitiate to say it, but there seems ==
rush to judgment.  Important to remember we have only a very small part o==
the puzzle at the monent...many more parts are needed nefore we know
anything for sure.
<
Hi Lois
This cautionary statement is needed. I was all for rushing along until I
closely examined one of these red berries which has brought me to a full
stop.
Obvious T.grandiflorum plants in that area need to be tagged next spring ==

and then the berry inspected later. This will be the only foolproof metho==
of deciding whether the red berried grandiflorum exists but who will
adjudicate.
Majella is certain they do exist so I am keeping an open mind for the nex==
year.
Carl.
Leeds  Yorkshire  England.