[Ipe-discuss] Importing an IPE document to a png file of fixed dimensions

Lluís Alemany-Puig lluis.alemany.puig at upc.edu
Sun Mar 6 09:35:53 CET 2022

Hello all,

I have to prepare a poster for a conference I'm attending (online) and I
thought I could use IPE for this.

Now, I've been told that I have to send a png file of dimensions
2500x1406 (I believe in pixels -- they didn't specify units) to one of
the conference organizers, so I thought I would make a stylesheet with
layout size 2500x1408, like this:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE ipestyle SYSTEM "ipe.dtd">
    <ipestyle name="poster_format">
    <!-- layout size for the poster -->
    <layout paper="2500 1408" origin="0 0" frame="2500 1408"/>
    <! -- other stuff, like colors and such -->
    </ipestyle>

and then export the ipe file to a png. That, however, did not work quite
as expected: the exported png file did not have the same dimensions as
the layout. In fact, the png had different dimensions depending on the
zoom level on the canvas: e.g. the smaller I could see the contents on
IPE's GUI, the smaller (in dimensions) the png file. I also tried to
import the pdf-saved IPE document into GIMP to then convert it into png,
but the dimensions were 3472x1952.

Is there a way to create an IPE document so that after exporting it to
png (using IPE's GUI or other) the file has dimensions 2500x1408? I wish
I could send a pdf to the conference's organizers but it has to be a png.

Thank you all,

Lluís Alemany