[Ipe-discuss] Curved text

Soeren Nickel soeren.nickel at ac.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jan 25 14:13:13 CET 2021

Hi Phillip,

So I have tried this before, and with Fabiens answer I did manage to get
stretchable and rotatable text. However I could not figure out how to
bend it, with this method. My solution was to use tikz inside of ipe. I
am not sure if it is fine to attach files here, so I will just include
my solution as a snippet below:

These two lines need to go into the Latex preamble under Edit-> Document
properties:

\usepackage{tikz}

\usetikzlibrary{decorations.text}

And inside the document I added a minipage text object with the
following content:

\begin{tikzpicture}

\node (One) at (-3,0) {};

\node (Two) at (3,0) {};

\def\myshift#1{\raisebox{-2ex}}

\path [->,thick,postaction={decorate,decoration={text along path,text
align=center,text={|\myshift|Parameterized Algorithms}}}] (One) to [bend
left=45] (Two);

\def\myshift#1{\raisebox{-4ex}}

\path [->,thick,postaction={decorate,decoration={text along path,text
align=center,text={|\myshift|in various Settings}}}] (One) to [bend
left=45] (Two);

\end{tikzpicture}

Some comments:

  * I am not very familiar with tikz and copied most of this code from
    an example of bent text in tikz
  * The text does not adhere to its bounding box anymore and might get
    cut off, which is why I sometimes added a couple of lines with just
    a white dot (invisible on white background) as padding to the top.
  * The method basically defines two points and draws a bent path
    between them which has some text on it
  * To avoid overlap between multiple lined text, the lines are shifted
    down by 2ex and 4ex

I hope this helps and best regards, Soeren