[Ipe-discuss] ipepresenter and lyx

Otfried Cheong ipe at otfried.org
Tue Oct 29 19:20:17 CET 2019

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019, at 14:29, Salvatore Modica via Ipe-discuss wrote:
> I have been using Lyx for years now, it's very efficient for
> co-authoring. Same for slides of course (beamer class).
> Now, for the sale of curiosity, ipepresenter opens perfectly pdf slides
> compiled from .tex files, but apparently not those complied by Lyx.

I figured out what the problem is:   In your presentation, Lyx uses bitmapped fonts for the presentation, and IpePresenter does not support those.

You can easily check this if you open the presentation with a PDF viewer and look at the list of fonts in the document properties:   It will show several embedded "Type 3" fonts with name "No name".

Type 3 fonts are bitmapped fonts.  In 2019, no text-processing system should use those without warning the user, so I think something is wrong either with Lyx or with the template you are using.

I managed to get the presentation to work by going (in Lyx) to Document -> Settings -> Fonts, and changing "Roman" to "Times Roman" and "Sans Serif" to "Helvetica".

I will add something to IpePresenter so that it will show an error message explaining what the problem is.