[Ipe-discuss] [ipe-discuss] Movie in an IPE presentation

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Tue Feb 26 15:54:12 CET 2019

I just had a look at pdfpc (https://pdfpc.github.io/) and Presentation (http://iihm.imag.fr/blanch/software/osx-presentation/), two apps for showing PDF presentations.

Both support videos, and both do NOT use the PDF movie annotations.  Instead, the user embeds in the PDF file only a link to a video, and then the player plays that video.   pdfpc will even embed the video inside the slide, Presentation will show it in a separate "movie view".

I have just tested that I can create files with (a slightly modified version of) Ipe that will contain videos that display correctly with pdfpc and Presentation.   In pdfpc the video is indeed nicely embedded inside the slide, and you can set it up so that it starts automatically when you enter the slide.   In Presentation you have to click on the movie object on the slide, then the movie starts playing in a separate movie view.

I will make it possible to use this in the next version of Ipe (you cannot currently do this with the released Ipe version, as it needs a different type of link annotation - a /Launch action rather than a /URI action).

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019, at 12:36, Fabien Lafont via Ipe-discuss wrote:
> I will try again and keep you posted. In my case embeding a video in an
> IPE presentation would be used to replace the animations you can get
> with keynote or powerpoint. Most of the time it is useless but from
> time to time a continuous animation of a plot, curve, process gives a
> better understanding to the audience to my opinion.

Now that we have IpePresenter and are no longer restricted by the possibilities of PDF for Ipe presentations, I'm planning to add animations to Ipe in the near future.