[Ipe-discuss] prefs.auto_export_xml_to_pdf no longer present

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Wed Jul 27 09:04:58 CEST 2016

Auto-exporting was removed in 7.1.10, together with saving in EPS
format, because nobody seemed to be using it.

The reason people had been using that in the past is to make sure they
had a readable copy of a document when Ipe somehow failed to reopen the
PDF file.    However, since ipeextract can now convert a PDF document
back to an XML document even if Ipe itself cannot parse the file, this
isn't that important anymore (in fact I know of no case where a document
got lost for this reason in the last several years).   The OSX Pdf
Viewer likes to murder PDF files, but it seems to always keep old
versions available, and by reverting to the earliest version you can
open in Ipe again.

But if there is real demand for it, I can easily revive this feature
(auto-exporting to PDF whenever the XML document is being saved).