[Ipe-discuss] PDF image import

Frank Siegert frank.siegert at cern.ch
Thu Mar 13 11:43:09 CET 2014

Dear all,

I came across Ipe when looking for a solution to create PDF
presentations at a level somewhere between latex-beamer and
{Open,Libre}Office Impress. From playing with it a bit, I do like the
concept. There is just one issue holding me back at the moment:
Support for importing PDFs.
I have tested the epspdfipe.lua Ipelet[0], which uses pdftoipe
internally, but pdftoipe doesn't work reliably enough (though
surprisingly well) to convert my test PDFs into a truthful
representation in Ipe.

Are there any plans for direct (scalable!) embedding of PDF images? I
tried through \includegraphics in a Latex text box, but it didn't work
and reading the manual I could have known beforehand:
"You cannot use commands that involve a non-linear translation into
PDF, such as commands to generate hyperlinks or to include external
images."

Am I overlooking an existing option to import scalable images (svg,
ps, pdf) not created by Ipe? Does everybody else who uses Ipe for
presentations create their images only through Ipe?

Cheers,
Frank

[0] https://sites.google.com/site/nicolasguypersonalwebpage/home/wiki/ipeletsforipe