[Ipe-discuss] ipe on RHEL

Otfried Cheong otfried at ipe.airpost.net
Tue May 28 04:31:14 CEST 2013

On 05/28/2013 01:15 AM, Dave Roberts wrote:
>       On RHEL6 (Scientific Linux 6 in my case) the package manager says
> lua5.1 is the most recent, and the ipe build fails looking for lua5.2.
> I removed lua5.1 and built lua5.2 from source, but because it was built
> from source it appears not to create the files (lua5.2.pc specifically).
>    I've tried the fixes for Fedora, but RHEL is behind Fedora in
> libraries, and I can't it right.
>
>      How can I trick ipe into thinking lua5.2 was installed by yum
> (possibly creating lua5.2.pc in the appropriate directory?) or get an
> version of ipe compatible with lua5.1 on RHEL (el6.x86_64 specifically)?

Don't worry about the pkg-config files - just tell Ipe where to find
Lua.  If you built and installed Lua 5.2 on your system such that lua.h
is in /usr/local/include/lua.h and lua5.2.so is in /usr/local/lib, you
can build Ipe by saying

make LUA_CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" \
      LUA_LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -llua5.2"

Or edit LUA_CFLAGS and LUA_LIBS in config.mak.

You can also build Ipe 7.1.3, which still used Lua 5.1.